Wednesday, March 21, 2007

WWF interview

Hi there gorgeous knitters,
So, I had my interview yesterday... and am shocked to report that it was actually fun. I took the metro to George Washington University (the "Foggy Bottom" stop, which my friends and I used to think was hysterical when we were kids, being the bathroom joke kind of kids that we were) and walked the few blocks to the hqs, which has lovely banners with their panda bear logo on the outside of the building. I think the interview went well, although they asked me a couple of questions that I hadn't anticipated, like: If you were in an elevator with Barbara Boxer, what would you tell her is the most important environmental issue today? And, What piece of scientific research would you say has had the greatest effect on conservation policy? Luckily, unlike other interview experiences I did NOT completely blank and was able to say something at least moderately intelligent sounding (well, I hope).
Everyone there was extremely welcoming and fun to talk to. I also got to meet the other interviewees and hear their talks. Again, very nice, impressive people. The projects were: monitoring snow leopards in Himalayas, effect of bushmeat hunting in Peru on forest regeneration, modeling movement of coral larvae in Pacific Ocean, recreating historical warming trends and their effects on fire events in forests of Chile, and using a number of models (including circuits as opposed to random walk) on mammal migration, and other pieces of information, such as response to fire management, to model different possible management schemes on a new reserve in northern Arizona.
Speaking of Arizona, hearing about Anna's recent hikes is making me sooo envious :) The weather is starting to be lovely here, so I'm thinking of making a day trip to do some hiking... maybe near Charlottesville. Also, if you will allow me, I feel compelled to give you a dog update... Our newest JRT foster is getting over heartworm treatment and had a wheezing attack last night. She kept putting her little head on my neck and grunting, which was absolutely as endearing as could be, but it made me so nervous and sorry for her that I didn't sleep too well. She seemed to be ok the rest of the night and this morning, though.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Molly,
Congratulations on the interview! Keep us posted. Did you go with a ponytail after all? (I also cannot seem to get by on such occasions as teaching and presenting without pulling my hair back.)

Irene said...

That sounds like a neat position. Hopefully you'll hear back soon!

The new "houseguest" sounds so adorable it should be illegal!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Yay Molly! and if we can do hairstyles and echinoderm facts I think that interviews and cute dogs totally go together.

Tucson Trekker said...

Very cool, Molly! It's neat that you guys got to hear each other's talks (but it sounds intimidating, too). Good luck!

Molly said...

Yeah, I kind of did the ponytail thing, except I tried to make it more sophisticated by putting a low barrette (as in Lisa's suggestion, but my barrette was not nearly as fancy as Lisa's sounds).
The dog's name is Lucy, but my sister and I have started calling her butterfly because she wags her tail sooo much and it makes her kind of prance around. I think her tail is too big for her tiny body, because when she's wagging it (and that's pretty much all the time), it really affects her other movements, like walking.