Tuesday, March 6, 2007

May the Madness March In

Once I married a KU man, I knew I couldn't escape college basketball (and I do enjoy following it). However, I assumed that once I moved from a historically basketball-centric college town to a small town in rural West Virginia and had no television reception, my basketball following would be limited to occasional radio and reading scores in the paper two days later.

How wrong I was. The Glenville Lady Pioneers are good. Darned good. As the top seeded team in the East region, GSC is hosting the regional NCAA tournament. (8 teams in Glenville Friday! No idea how they are going to fit!).

You can tell that I have become an academic fuddy-duddy because 1) I am really very very annoyed that I have to re-do my lesson plans for tomorrow and Friday because my 101 classroom is in the PE building and they need it for tournament preparations. They didn't even offer me an alternative classroom (I have one of the largest classes on campus), but I insisted on one and was given the auditorium (there goes my mostly over-head based interactive lesson) (writing the power-point is what I'm supposed to be doing right now but I have no interest in it). 2) I am giving a writing assignment in botany on Friday, even though it is the day before spring break and there are NCAA tournment games going on during class.

You can tell that I am totally into this March Madness foolishness because 1) I printed my Women's Division II brackets first thing Monday morning (link so you can have your very own) and 2) I just said to my husband upon finding out the UCSD plays division II basketball (a school of 26,000 students somehow in the same league as 1,300 Glenville), "UC San Diego, we can kick their ass in Kearney." And I think I'll keep using the phrase "We can kick their ass in Kearney"

My favorite part of this madness? A struggling football player/class clown in 101 asked after class Monday, "So where is Nebraska?" (and aside to a friend, "See, I told you'd she'd know")

3 comments:

Debbie said...

You can tell him they even have electricity in Nebraska! And indoor plumbing has caught up with them.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

West Virginians really aren't all that into thinking other people don't have running water. Ride horses across the flat expanses to school-- maybe-- plumbing-- well, if the folks up the holler have it here than pretty much the rest of the world must too.

Jennifer said...

You are so smart Lisa to even know where Nebraska is. What a talented woman.

Go TEAM!