Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cheating at Walking

As part of a state employee wellness initiative, I'm wearing a pedometer and recording steps for 10 weeks. I have no problem with my 10,000 step daily goal when I walk to school and teach, but I've been slow over spring break. So, in order to up my step count this week, I've been cheating. I walk extra, step extra, dance while brushing my teeth and run up and down the stairs. Yes, to make it look like I am being active and stepping more I am being active and stepping more. Still, it feels like cheating.

6 comments:

Tucson Trekker said...

But surely that all counts! If you dance while you are brushing your teeth you use muscles and burn calories. I like that exercise regime!

Irene said...

Agreed - no more fretting! Activity is activity, no matter when or how you do it.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I know, it's the weirdness of thinking that I'm cheating when I'm doing exactly what I'm supposed to do that I'm commenting on. It's like the students getting back at me for assigning hard material by studying so that they get it (not that that happens all that often, but it does)

Tucson Trekker said...

Yeah,

It's like brushing your teeth to spite your foot... or something.

Tucson Trekker said...

No,
I meant brushing your teeth to spite your FACE. Well, anyway...

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I like brushing your teeth to spite your foot a lot. I think I'll have to add that to a conversation soon.