Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Peonies and other pretty plants

These pictures of spring are so nice! It has been a dreary spring break in Lawrence as usual. But things are warming and greening up! My peonies and other plants are starting to break through the ground and I am looking for advice on how to stake them so they don't flop over all spring. I found some grow-through stakes in a gardening catalog (unsolicited) that were $30. Kind of pricey. Usually, I tie them up with twine, but this doesn't seem to work very well and ends up looking kind of ghetto. I also have some really tall Silphium perfoliatum that tend to droop in the late summer. Does anyone know of a cheap and effective way to stake plants that isn't totally ugly?

I will send pictures of these budding plants soon!

I gave this post a label so there would be something beside brawls on the list :)

11 comments:

Tucson Trekker said...

I can't help you with your staking problem -- but what's a 'brawl'?

Jennifer said...

Debbie posted about her dogs having a fight and labelled that post "Brawls". Until now, that has been the only label given to posts. If you label your posts then you can retrieve all of the posts that are labelled "brawl" even if they are posted years apart. It might be a good idea to label our posts.

Tucson Trekker said...

Oh, I agree. I'm already wondering if there is an efficient way to find out which posts have new comments on them...

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I usually use bamboo stakes (which I end up purchasing, but swear that I'm going to steal some from Kelly's) and the green plastic tie up stuff that's supposed to not dig into plants.

Surrounding the path to the house I used the metal frames from politcal signs to keep them from flopping on the sidewalk. I never could find the frames available for sale however, as they would have been cheap and simple for the edges and then I'd just bamboo up a few blossoms in the middle.

The expensive green metal structures are great, but they are really expensive.

Debbie said...

Not to be confused with bras.

Tucson Trekker said...

Oh, is underwire good for tomatoes?

Erin said...

So, bamboo and underwire should do the trick?

Debbie said...

Maybe a thong would help? Kind of like a plant hammock.

Tucson Trekker said...

For those well-endowed male plants...

Debbie said...

Or to support the fruit of the womb.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Wow, some of these get weird. Brawls, bras . . . so much confusion.
Bamboo and green tape, twine,(or underwire?) will definitely do the trick. I'm not sure it' a lot less ghetto than sticks and twine, but the bamboo is pretty inconspicious and I've been really pleased that I've never seen the green tape in my peonies. By the way, my peonies here came up in January during the warm wet time, and were detroyed in Feb during the very very cold time and haven't done anything since.

At the formal gardens in Scotland we used bamboo and twine over everything but instead of waiting until two days before the peony party, which happened in Lawrence, we actually made a mosaic of twine when the plants were very small and they grew up through it. Looked horrible for April, but overall better come June.