Sunday, March 18, 2007

Slow and arduous...

Hi all,

Nate and I hiked about 25 miles in Canyonlands last week and it was great. Well, "last week" ended yesterday with 10 miles. Pretty good for a sedentary monkey like me. Thank goodness for DDR! We had a couple great days in Lawrence before that. Spent some wonderful all-too-brief moments with friends and met with advisors and committee members. Whew! They didn't boot me yet! Seriously, though, I better get my butt in gear down here in Tucson. I looked up 'Trek' on Dictionary.com and it said to make a slow or arduous journey. Both of those adjectives apply to my dissertation, although I prefer to think of myself trekking among the saguaros of the Sonora. (I finally made it to Wasson Peak, Cathy. It was STUPENDOUS!)

Well, bed time. I plan to read and post more later and hopefully even figure out how to do pictures. This blog is an AWESOME idea! Thanks!

7 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Welcome Tuscon Trekker-- great to hear from you!

Irene said...

It's very good to hear that you've been doing some hiking. What does the Tucson area look like at this time of year?

Cathy said...

Anna,
I'm so glad you got to Wasson Peak...that used to be my "church" (i.e. Sunday morning) hike. Also spent many a sunset on the saddle below the peak.

Erin and I will both be in Tucson for the Landscape Ecology conference April 9-13. That wed we have the day off (11th?)-- can you get away from your work for a day to go hiking with us? I was thinking of heading to one of the southern ranges...

Scott is flying in that night and we are spending Fri-Sunday at Organ Pipe....have you and Nate made it down there yet?

Glad to hear you are enjoying the beautiful desert spring. Was there enough rain to get a good bloom this year?

Hope to see you soon!

Jenny said...

So very glad you are here, Anna! Any chance we may get to experience Arizona vicariously via some of your photographs?

Tucson Trekker said...

Hi all,
I plan to post photos as soon as I have the time and figure out how...

Jennifer said...

Hey TT - sounds like you had a great time in the canyonlands. Doing pictures is really easy. You need to have them on your computer. Then, as you are writing your post, you will see an icon that looks like a little picture. Just click on that and another window will pop up where you can browse your computer to where the picture is. Then select it and when you have added all the pictures you want (I think you can add up to six in one pop-up window), just hit upload. You also have some choice about what size you want the pictures and their placement. Let me know if you need help.
Cheers

Tucson Trekker said...

I now regret the title of my post. I hope someone will hurry up and post again so that the poor blog won't say 'Slow and arduous' at the top. Way to ponderous an opening for such a fun blog!