Friday, April 6, 2007

Sweaty Season Fashion Advice

It is very humid in central West Virginia. Of course, as a Coloradan, I found it very humid in Lawrence at times, but that was really no comparison. March-October I generally walk to work in fog, and am "glowing profusely" by the time I arrive at my office (which is usually a sauna, especially in the winter). (Of course today is freezing with a bitter wind, but we'll ignore that). I need to expand my options of what I wear to work (and frankly walking around and traveling) in such conditions.
Advice?
My "dress pants" are mostly polyester-based and while drapey and flattering in winter, stick like cheap polyester in the sweaty season.
Jeans are way, way too sweaty.
I haven't found a pair of chinos that flatters me (many flat-front pants with a bit of strech just seem to empasize that my front is not flat), but I'd be willing to try others if suggested.
I tried on a pair of lightweight cotton pants today and they looked like, well, like cargo pants, which they were. Lightweight cotton that doesn't look like cargo pants or wanna-be jeans could be considered, but where would I find them.
I think I'd like to explore some linen, but will I really maintain it? (and I'm going to swat whomever thought it was a good idea to take something made out of linen and line it with a cheap acrylic liner-- still wrinkles and now makes you sweat double).
Do I need to be looking at tencel? rayon? viscose? silk? Where would I find them?
Do professors trying to be professional teach in capris? If so, with what footwear?
Also looking for suggestions of tops that can be worn in a single layer untucked. I wear interesing necklaces every day so I don't need fancy tops, but I would like something that's as comfy as a t-shirt but with some finishing on the bottom. I have a few short sleeve cotton sweaters that fall in this category-- they fall to mid-hip and are clearly not meant to be tucked in. Tunics, rib-tees, anything like that? (but no boat/ballet necks as I'll just spend the whole day revealing my bra straps)

Personal caveat-- since I have started wearing pants that are long enough all the time, I don't think I can go back. Any actual practical advice needs to include things that come in tall.

4 comments:

Irene said...

I have no experience with women's tall clothes - if anything, regular pants are often a little too long for me. So, I can't help with that part.

In terms of materials, I'd try linen and rayon. If you can't find pants that suit you, maybe try long skirts?

I think tailored capris with semi-dressy sandals could also work.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Skirts are definitely an option, and I ended up buying a new one yesterday, but they come with several drawbacks-- require leg maintainance, I have to wear them with a shaper (otherwise my legs rub raw) and that reduces the coolness, and lack of pockets (I love pockets). I should wear some of the dresses I already own, I feel a little over-dressed for teaching, but they aren't doing any good looking great in my closet.

Tucson Trekker said...

Wish I could help, Sparkling Squirrel, but I am much more in the category of needing fashion advice than being able to give it! All I have for hot weather are crappy, too-short shorts that don't even fit anymore. I don't need to look 'professional' but I'd rather not look pathetic, either. Better make time for a trip to target. I totally resent having to spend time and money on clothes before the fact, but I do feel satisfied and pleased if I get something presentable for myself once it's in hand.

Beth said...

I have a pair of L.L. Bean cotton pants with a bit of spandex in them that are great and there are lots of options
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=stretch-twill-pants&categoryId=37716&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=6200&cat4=6189&shop_method=pp&feat=6200-tn

but I tend to wear skirts (that flow and are long) with sandals or crappy synthetics that are hot with t-shirts or short sleeve sweaters. Ann Taylor outlets have lots of nicer and more affordable stuff - same with a Filenes basement. Capris look funny on short people - but if I wear them I use sandals.

I also wear nice t-shirts (with a finished non-cotton look - usually a blend) with a fancy necklace. Also short sleeve button-downs in linen are nice (New York and Company sometimes has them)