Thursday, April 12, 2007

Skunky McGoo

I and my family descended upon my parents' house in San Diego for Easter, eating up food like the locusts that supposedly have disappeared from the midwest this past week. My sister also brought along one of the dogs, who had never before encountered a skunk, and so was completely surprised at the consequences of her harrassing a poor creature last night at 11 pm. She ran inside and immediately started rubbing herself on every available piece of cloth in the house before my sister snatched her up and held her outside. The smell and commotion woke everyone up, and my uncle mixed up a concoction that really worked to get the skunk smell out of Maggie (the dog, now christened Skunky McGoo): hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, a few drops of dishwashing liquid, and water.
I was sorry to hear about SS and the Mister's hurt skunk... I personally think they are among the cutest wildlife around.

5 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Our skunk has not been seen recently. Hopefully he has recovered and is back to his nocturnal ways.
How did Skunky McGoo get from San Diego back to DC?

Jennifer said...

I can imagine the commotion a skunked dog could make in the middle of the night. Glad you had a nice trip.

Molly said...

She returned in a crate, in the cargo of the plane. It was hard putting her back on the plane since she clearly was very nervous about the return flight. But she seemed fine as soon as she left the airport back in Virginia.

Tucson Trekker said...

One of my bridesmades had a skunked dog at bedtime on the night before my wedding. She was up until all hours trying to figure out how to clean off the dog. Sounds like your uncle had encountered this problem before...

Jenny said...

I really like the name Skunky McGoo.