Thursday, April 12, 2007

Breezy Jamaica

Hi - I put this on the lonely planet travel forum, the thorntree & accidently sent it to Cathy when I email my paretns! I walked all by myself to the vegan restaurant 2 blocks away! I'm having the sweaty skirt problems Lisa has. Yea! We have a rental car to go to the beach for the rest of the visit! We have it so good in the US it's amazing.

Hi - I'm in Jamaica! I went on the bird tour on Wed. It was great! We
drove up in the blue mts to the starlight chalet, taking our time and
stopping and walking on the road, then the guide would run back to the van
and bring up to where I was waiting. We got a bit of a late start, but he
came to SPanish Town to pick me up!!! And my host came with up and he
dropped her off at her office. It was $100, and I gave $10 extra for the
drive to and from Spanish Town. We stopped at a coffee plantation at
Section, I'm not quite sure what it was all about. A Rasta commune?
MikeyMike might be laughing at me for not knowing. But the guy there showed
me the different stages of the beans, and how they roast it, and I bought
some, $15/lb. ANd there was a hummingbird feeder so saw an orangequit and
got some hummer photos. I really enjoyed the trip. I'd prefer a trip of
just the mts and ocean, and wildlife places, but had no idea that it's so
hard to get around here, and my friend works. We're renting a car for the
rest of my stay here, to get away. ANother friend (didn't know he was here,
ran into him on Peace Corps van!) showed me around New Kingston yesterday,
saw emancipation park, the devon house and shops.

Robert at Sun Venture Tours was great! I recommend him!

Debbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be fair, Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee is considered by many to be the best in the world. A (very) quick internet search indicates that it is $20/pound or more from various web sites.

I can't really say it's worth the price premium.

Tucson Trekker said...

How has the rest of your trip been? Are you back in Lawrence yet?