Tuesday, April 10, 2007

hi from JAMAICA MON!

Hi everyone! Here's an email I sent to some people...

I'm at Carleen's house in Spanish Town, she's at work (Peace Corps in Kingston the capital) Tell Geoff it does smell like burning tires! At least near the cities. It's horribly humid and hot and not a tropical paradise around here
The north coast is more pleasent, and the Blue mts. are really cool. Went birding there today, and saw a coffe planataion, seems like a rasta commune that makes there own, wasn't so sure what was going on. But it's the most fair trade coffee ever - $15/lb! Carleen will tell me I should hv argued for lower. They gave my tour guide a lb for free. sunventuretours.com. But they grow and roast it right there, so very fresh.

Jennifer - I saw Shane! Went to the trelawny yam fest with the PC van. SHane said he'd take me around wed or thurs, Bob Marley museum I hope & some place called devon house. He knows the bus system. I wouldn't want to travel here alone. Carleen is taking very good care of me. Made salt fish & ackee for my 1st meal - the nat'l dish. She has a tone of fruit trees - cherries, orange, lime, mango, spinach that grows like a vine. And it's a tiny house. Her grandma is here -has no teeth so hard to understand. Hard to understand everyone.

So I'll hang out with her til Carl.'s home. Maybe take photos of the little lizards, and the 2 stray dogs Carleen feeds. Momma dog with 4 pups (though I haven't seen them for 2 days) and another. Rusty-like dogs around her house.

Yes, they play loud raggae. the ratafarians seem nice, and the educated people. Others are questionable.

Debbie

0 comments: