Monday, October 22, 2007

Growing up moment

I kicked a student out of lecture today (for texting in my view-- less than 5 minutes after I had given a prepared "no texting, primping or cheating message". Had she quit at first glare I wouldn't have done anything, but she was too busy staring at her thumbs to notice my glare). It was actual my first time. There was plenty of awkwardness but I'm very proud that I just did it between sentences in my talk on fungi and did not raise my voice or change pace much. While she did take her dear sweet time about collecting her belongings, she didn't sigh overly much, which is good, 'cause I might have lost it. Instead, I just went back to fungus.

How have you been a grown up recently? (Yes, Irene, I suppose that making a baby counts)

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Not recently, but I'm proud of you for kicking her out! The students already think you're grown up - so feign grownupness even if you don't feel like a grown up.

Actually, they roped me into teaching sunday school - I don't like it, but consider it a way to give back to the church, at least til the Kenya trip. I need the practice around kids. But they don't know I'm not grown up and don't like teaching. Actually, they can probably sense it. But they're only 3 so I can overpower them if they act up. And it's only every other week, so I can not think about it til the drive to church - which then I get nervous. Great - now I'm getting the willies. Go away thoughts...

Irene said...

I'd say it isn't the making of a baby that involves being a grown up. Nearly any 15 year old can do it. The acting like a grown up comes in later.

Jennifer said...

Good for you SS.
Let's see, talking with Erin yesterday about my HMO, principle care provider, and life insurance made me feel like a boring grown-up.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Oooh, today I just got off the phone with the football coach telling him that no, there was no way that my ecology student could make up the all-day, been on the schedule since the beginning of the semester trip in order to be at practice on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Turns out the student wasn't texting. Ack! Now I feel slightly bad (but not too bad, given that her phone was open and she was staring at it)

Tucson Trekker said...

How can you know she wasn't texting? Her say so? Good for you about the field trip. Yikes, how can they even think you could make something like that up?