Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sedges and violets

I was going to post this under Jennifer's sedge photo, then it got long and became it's own post.

I found a sedge in my yard. Would that be good to grow in the part of my yard that pools up? Could I get a little clump of it growing in my garden and keep it as a contained clump, or is that like someone growing a spot of regular grass in a garden? What is the public perception of sedges? Lisa gave me a bunch of violets years ago, and they're spreading so I'm planting a bunch of violets out front in the bare spots of my yard. My mom called them weeds.

4 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

My lovely violets are not weeds!
The sedge I had in Lawrence (probably blanda) was fairly invasive and a minor pain-- but it grew easily and well.

Debbie said...

No, they're not weeds! Maybe I'll have an experimental sedge plot. I'm posting an orange alert on my boss. Beware! I think he takes it all out on me, like family.

Irene said...

I have violets in my yard - mostly in my lawn where they would probably be considered weeds by some. I, however, think they're wonderful!

Jennifer said...

At our house in Springfield we had two kinds of violets in our yard and I loved them.