Monday, May 21, 2007

Purple Gloves

I get to wear purple (nitrile) gloves at work, and this makes me inordinately happy. It doesn't matter that they make my hands sweaty and gross; three weeks in and I still haven't gotten over being delighted that they're purple. I also can't seem to help grinning whenever I catch a glimpse of my reflection in glass, wearing a white lab coat. For someone who was convinced for a while that they belonged outdoors for a living, I sure get a kick out of being surrounded by fancy machines that go "beep," and bottles and beakers and liquid nitrogen. Maybe it's just that I'm happy to finally have a real job, but I think it's not only that. When I was interviewing, there were several positions that were with biotech companies, but were basically cubicle jobs. At these interviews, I tended to find myself asking wistfully "Will I get to peek into the laboratory?" No wonder they didn't hire me! It definitely worked out better this way.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Irene - Sometimes it is this silly little things that make life fun. I am glad you are enjoying your new job. And the purple gloves!

Jenny said...

I also really, really like the purple gloves!