Wednesday, May 2, 2007

news from DC

Just wanted to share my news-- especially since I now know what I'm going to be doing with my life for the next 2 years...
First off, I did not get the WWF fellowship, but in an unusual twist, received "honorable mention" and so am going to get $2000 in travel money to be used in the next 6 mos. So, I'm tagging along with my old AMNH boss an a field trip to eastern Turkey and then Austria. I am really excited to go, because I've always wanted to learn more about how to dig up bee nests and learn more about nesting biology from my old boss... and I'm super excited about getting to see Turkey. I'm hoping I'll get to at least spend a day in Istanbul as I have been dreaming about seeing the Hagia Sophia. In Austria I will get to meet with the world expert on another parasitic bee genus-- which is great because I just found out last week that I have a two-year postdoc at the Smithsonian working on the molecular phylogenetics of this very genus. The postdoc starts June 1, and the Turkey/Austria trip is probably between June 25 and July 16. The only thing I regret is not being able to witness the weddings of either Beth or my best friend from high school :(
Last weekend I was in Claremont, California at my 10 year college reunion. (Cathy, I saw Don McF., who says hello, and who wants us to start using the field station in Costa Rica which Joint Sciences is now running). You would think that out of a graduating class of 130 I would know pretty much all of my classmates... but no, I knew hardly any of them (partially because few of them took science classes). Anyway, I had a really fantastic time and now feel like I have gotten to know some pretty phenomenal women. Which is wonderful, considering I wasn't even planning to go and was worried that I wouldn't have a good time. I was struck by how beautiful the Scripps campus is... it makes me wish I could go back and do another year as an undergrad. It was also fun to see other Scripps women who are living in Lawrence, like the two women who own the Raven bookstore... I knew that they were almunae, but it seemed strange to see in them in CA rather than KS!

7 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Congratulations Molly! Turkey sounds fabulous, and the Smithsonian post-doc right up your alley.

Cathy said...

Molly-That's awesome! Congratulations! I'm jealous of the Turkey trip. Ah ha, the mystery is now solved: Don wrote me an email saying "I heard you were engaged..." but refused to reveal his sources. Lucky you for getting to be in our lovely little island of Claremont again. So should we plan a trip to Costa Rica?

Jennifer said...

Congratulations Molly - The job sounds fantastic. Digging up bees nests sounds like a crazy biologist thing to do. Hope to see some pictures!

Beth said...

congrats - a friend of mine from college just got a postdoc at the smithsonian environmental research station starting jan 1. maybe you two will see each other.

Molly said...

How awesome would it be for us all to plan a field trip together-- a GBKD reunion! Maybe this is too much of a logistical nightmare, but it would be sooo fun for us all to meet up at a field station somewhere with some project that we'd figured out to do. We could all be coauthors on something! :) Ok, or maybe we could all just snooze on a beach somewhere too...

Erin said...

Molly,
Congrats on your post-doc and for scoring the travel money. I can't wait to see pictures of Turkish bee nests! And a field station reunion seems perfect, with or without a publication.

Jennifer said...

I would love a reunion as well!