Friday, November 16, 2007

Baby update - it's a girl!

The ultrasound appointment yesterday went well, and it looks like we're having a girl! I'm delighted, since I had a slight preference in that direction (though if it turned out to be a boy, I'd probably convince myself that's what I wanted all along anyway). My husband is already plotting how to intimidate the first boy she brings home. I keep wondering what she'll look like - my money's on brown eyes and dark brown hair, but from her Swedish side there is the possibility that she could be a blue-eyed blonde. Will she be a shy quiet one, or a firecracker? Girly girl, or tomboy?

She is now 11 ounces - as my mom says, nearly the size of a can of Coke. Though some days I could swear that what I'm carrying around is a brick. Of lead.

The ultrasound now shows some very neat details other than the gender-specific ones - toes and fingers, the four chambers of the heart, little specks of kidneys.

Next week is week 20, which marks the halfway point. I know all too well that I should be patient and enjoy the luxury of sleeping through the night while I can, but I want it to be April already!

8 comments:

Tucson Trekker said...

OOh Irene, this is so ECXITING!! I'm so happy for you and Vlad. And I'm happy for the little girl bottle of coke, too, because she'll have really cool parents!

Jennifer said...

I am so glad that things are going well for you. I am sure that Vlad will have no trouble intimidating potential boyfriends. She'll be wonderful no matter what.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

And Vladette may very be able to beat Ewaldina at Boggle.

Beth said...

woohoo!

Debbie said...

Or marry Elwaldino

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I like Ewaldino. It's much more obnoxious than the masculine Ewald we had been using. Ewaldino could be a Brazillian soccer star (except for the nationality and lack of genetic predisposition towards coordination, but he'd have the name).

Jenny said...

A girl! Oh boy! (hmm, ironic response)

Erin said...

I fear for the boys who have to make it past Vlad's scrutiny. Congrats!