Saturday, February 16, 2008

Trip to Lawrence

I have a date set to defend my thesis on Monday, March 3rd. I'm coming into Lawrence on Sunday evening, and I will leave on Tuesday morning (yeah, short trip, I know). I hope to see those of you who are in Lawrence or nearby - a celebration dinner is likely to happen at Pachamama's on Monday evening.

Tomorrow's the last day for me to work on the thesis before I send it to my committee. Is it done and polished? Hah. Mostly done, not entirely polished. I just finished formatting it to meet the requirements, but it still needs some content in certain spots. Like, a "conclusions" section, which is currently nothing more than some scribbled notes on scrap paper.

My biggest fear at this point is actually not related to the thesis itself, but that the baby might decide to come early while I'm traveling. She's been awfully squirmy and active lately, and although I can rationally acknowledge that that doesn't mean anything other than (probably) she's healthy, it sure feels like she's trying to figure out how to break free of her prison.

I recently switched my prenatal care and plans for delivery from a hospital to a birth center, and on my blog I go into a fair amount of detail about why. It's a long post!

8 comments:

Erin said...

It will be great to see you, Irene. I assume you are driving since your due date is close?

Beth said...

She's flying but I get to see here on her stop in Chicago on Friday. Woot!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Overall conclusions are way overrated. Break a metaphorical leg!

Irene said...

My doctor looked at me like I had two heads when I told her I was planning to travel, but then admitted that there's nothing specifically risky about flying except that they might not want to let me on the plane.

I didn't realize when I planned my trip that one month before the due date is already a little too close for comfort. Too late to change it now, though!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with the defense, I'm sure you will do wonderfully. Unfortunately we will just miss each other as I am going back to TN on the 29th. Wish I could see you, I'll be thinking about you :)

Molly said...

Good luck, Irene! I know you'll do great :)

Jennifer said...

Hi Irene,
Congratulations! Do you need a ride to or from the airport?

Jenny said...

Irene,
How awesome! Best of luck--wish we could be there, I'm sure you will do a great job. Can I read your thesis someday?