Monday, February 18, 2008

Much ado about Hector and Frances

As we start planning for our upcoming move, many details need attention. One major issue is what to do with our cats. Initially, I assumed that we would shell out the $1,000 to move them with us. It would be expensive, but they're my babies! But in thinking it over, I think the move could be very stressful for them. Hector in particular. He takes several weeks to recover from a trip to the vet. So, I am dealing with the prospect of leaving them with someone else. Sniff!

It really breaks my heart to even think about it, and I will only be able to do it if I can find them a good home. I know that many of you are cat fanciers, and thought that you might know someone who would provide a good home for them (even if somewhere other than Lawrence). It could be a temporary thing (i.e., until I finish my postdoc and move back) or permanent (with visitation rights!) if their new caretakers preferred that. They are both about 9 years old and right now are indoor/outdoor cats, but could be indoor only if necessary. Any leads are appreciated. Any emotional support will also help.

5 comments:

Molly said...

Are you friends with Liz (was Deb's student, worked on vespids)? She might potentially be interested...

Irene said...

Awww Erin... I hope you can find a happy home for them, I know it is a hard choice to have to make. I wish I could offer to take them but that would probably stress them just as much as moving to Hawaii. Plus, I've said many times that 4 cats is the limit for us lest we truly turn into crazy cat people!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Big pets to Hector and Frances. I'm sure you'll find a happy home for them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

Erin,
I am so happy to hear the good news about your upcoming job but am sorry you had to make such a tough decision. Do you know Erin McC (who I think now works with Susan and Julie on the second floor), she might be interested. Or Jan E., who is an animal lover and would take great care of them.