Saturday, November 20, 2010

NINE years ago

The first Harry Potter movie came out NINE years ago this week. I watched it that week with many of you (Beth, Jennifer, Debbie, Liz, Tim and maybe Irene, I believe).
It simultaneously seems that it can't be nine years ago-- I haven't changed that much, nine years can't have past-- and ridiculous to think it was only nine years ago and not a lifetime.
As Abby and Jenny pointed out back when book 7 was published, Harry Potter has felt like being part of something greater than us; that we are actually part of a cultural phenomena unlikely to be repeated.
I'm going to see the new movie next week and miss all of you.
I'll be sad next summer, and very excited.

2 comments:

Beth said...

We're going to go see it to. HOW HAS IT BEEN 9 YEARS!?!?!?!?!?!

ack.

It can't be that long - I refuse to believe that.

Jenny said...

What did you guys think of the movie?

Beth, I absolutely loved your plethora of ?!?!?!?!?! in your comment.