Friday, November 12, 2010

Jobs and yuckiness

Is it normal to feel depressed after submitting a gagillion job applications? I feel like I should be hopeful and optimistic, but I just feel weird and exposed. I even had the last manuscript from my dissertation accepted this week (with minor revisions...full disclosure). The one that was the biggest PITA* and took the longest to write. I should feel elated, right? Why does applying for jobs make me feel crappy?

*Is PITA a real acronym for pain in the arse? It should be.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Cuz it's hard not to look needy (translate "I NEED a job"), so it feels like begging. It makes us feel vulnerable and weird. But congrats on getting the last chapter published (almost)! Awesome! And good luck on the job apps! You'll get some ff miles from all the interviews from HI, I'm sure!

Beth said...

PITA does mean that. :-)

Congrats on getting the last chapter published. I wish all mine were.

Good luck with the job apps!!!

FYI (for anyone here) We have one open if anyone wants to come work with me. It's a good deal if you like teaching (3:3) and are good with service and want to keep a research program going sometimes with the help of our non-majors (at least a small one).

Erin said...

Thanks for the support, ladies! I feel much better after the baby slept through the night 2 nights in a row and we spent the day at the beach. I think the funk was brought on by a perfect storm of sleep and sun deprivation combined with the job related stuff.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Erin, glad you feel better. I feel good when I have jobs to apply for and not good when they are finally sent in.
And much much better when receiving enough sleep.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the manuscript! I'm glad you are feeling better - applying for jobs is always hard (Stelios had many funky moods while he was applying). Someone smart will snatch you up because you're great at what you do!