Friday, November 26, 2010

Cyber social mores

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! To catch up with all posts at once, happy bday Irene, Jennifer, and Jenny! I'll see Jennifer in a couple weeks in her seminar. I didn't see the 1st or any Harry Potter's with Lisa's Gang, though I clearly remember seeing the 1st one the day after tgiving in the plaza (with a friend visiting for the weekend). My boss had me over yesterday to enjoy tgiving with his family.

I've experienced my 1st facebook friend death. An American I met in Haiti died yesterday. I followed the details on facebook (his wife's page). Weird. And people are leaving him goodbye messages on his page. I always wondered what becomes of someone's page after they die. Will it be on-line forever? Will facebook be around 50 yrs from now? Where do they (facebook) store all those photos? He wasn't even a close friend, was old and out of shape, had a heart attack, so I'm not surprised. But bummed out now none-the-less.

On a positive note, all the post labels to choose from crack me up.

2 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I remember it being Liz's gang. We left from KBS. Which is weird because my non-KBS friends were there as well. Beth and Jennifer were definitely there because we saw the trailers for Attack of the Clones for the first time and made fun of them a lot.

Jenny said...

SalSis,
The wife of someone I worked with in the past passed away recently and I learned about it via facebook, and had a very similar reaction. I didn't know her very well, but was saddened. It was almost worse learning about it through facebook.

Who knows if it will be around in 50 years? Interesting questions that you ask.