Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Knitting suggestion?

Hi,
I have a friend currently undergoing chemo for breast cancer, and she's been wanting a hat that isn't too wintry but will provide some cover until pleasent weather arrives. I'd like to knit one if I can, but would appreciate general pattern ideas from you more experienced knitters. I guess my main problem is that a soft yarn, maybe a cotton, seems best for comfort, but then any brim would be pretty floppy and potentially annoying. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Beth said...

I know there are online patterns for chemo hats. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow.

Jennifer said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope her treatment goes well. A few years ago the online knitting magazine "Knitty" published a chemo hat pattern knit in the yarn "Calmer" by Rowan. I don't know if that yarn is still being made, but it is a cotton acrylic blend. The pattern is here http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/knittyF04surp.pdf

There are a lot of nice cotton blends, or a silk blend might be nice as well.

Irene said...

If I understand correctly that she wants a hat that doesn't look like a winter hat - maybe also that doesn't look like a chemo hat - I agree it would be hard to make a knitted hat with a cute brim. Maybe if it was a cloche or beret?

This cloche is way cute, but doesn't look lightweight. http://www.pieknits.com/blog/2006/11/stella_cloche_hat_pattern.html

Jenny said...

Thanks for all the suggestions. She is really such a strong person, and has been handling things so well.
The "calmer" yarn seems like just the thing. And I LOVE the hat link you posted, Irene, although I think the wool needed to felt the hat would make her head a bit itchy.