Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Burns Night!

Hello everyone, this is Tim posting under Jenny's name. Since it is Burns Night tonight, and many of us had spent previous Burn's Nights in each other's company, I felt the need to post.

I hope everyone is doing well! We are looking forward to some "warm" weather of around 32 degrees on Saturday. We have been cross-country skiing a bit around Ames, taking advantage of the snow, but otherwise have kept quiet since the holidays. I've finally been finishing some manuscripts off, and I finally feel that I'm making some progress on my backlog of writing. I have also been applying for some jobs with some nibbles but no fish yet in the boat.

Jenny and I miss all of you. I don't know if this has been most people's experience, but we have not made such close friendships post-Lawrence as when we were in Lawrence. I've talked to some other professors and post-docs here, and most people agree that it is a lot harder to make friends after graduate school. Well, to end with Burns, "Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and auld lang syne! For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne. We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet, for auld lang syne."

3 comments:

Irene said...

Hi Tim! It's good to see one of the "honorary knitters" make a post. I was just thinking about Burns Night not too long ago, and missing Lawrence and all our friends there. I keep telling myself I need to find more people around here with similar interests, but for now I'm mostly trying to focus on finishing writing.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Hi Tim. Keep writing Irene! I thought of Burns night yesterday (besides being a fun time in Lawrence it's the anniversary of meeting one of my friends in Scotland) but somehow forgot to drink the whiskey last night.

Indeed, you know how much I miss all of you.

Beth said...

Hi Tim!

Thanks for writing - I miss my friends too. Although I have lots of friends in Chicago I miss friends who understand he trials and tribulations of research and life. My colleagues are great but I'm so much younger than most of them it's not quite the same (an average of at least a 20 year span). But I did have whiskey on Thursday night. (((hugs)) to everyone.