Friday, June 1, 2007

Cirque du Soleil

So last night, a labmate and I went to see the Cirque du Soleil show Corteo. I'm sure that some of you (or maybe many of you) have seen a Cirque show before, but I never have. I have to say that it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life! I didn't even know that the human body could physically do some of the things that they did! Plus the tent is set up so that you are really close to the stage (I think that is the closest I've ever been to a non-high school stage). And any group that encourages you to switch to the more expensive seats a minute into the performance because they didn't sell out is totally awesome. As for the performance, I liked the first half better than the second, though both were indescribably awesome. My absolute favorite was the 4 women in the chandeliers at the very beginning. So cool. If only I had the flexibility, athleticism, strength, dedication.... okay I would need a lot of things before I would be capable of doing that, but I can appreciate how cool it all is. And the show was thought provoking too (the story is that this clown has just died, and it follows his journey to the other side, so it made me think about how I live my life). Anyway, if you get the chance you should really try to see this. It's 2 full hours of fun.

On another note, I wonder if I should abandon all thoughts of ever publishing a paper on the development of apical flaps in nematocysts. I feel like God himself is telling me to give up and just let Daphne and Jane do what they will (even though I know I can't do that). Maybe it will get published by the time I finish my degree.

Finally, Jenny and Jennifer - I commented on your posts. Sometimes I worry that if I comment on old posts, no one will read them (not that I have anything mind-blowing or even interesting to say, I just don't want to seem like I'm ignoring things others have said). I really wish there was some system to see what has been updated on the blog.

7 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I have never seen a Cirque show and would certainly like to and I have a hard time believing God wants you to abandon the paper, although I'll admit to being really poor at interpreting signs from God.

Irene said...

I'd like a way of seeing new comments, too.

I checked the settings, and there's a place for an email address if you want to be notified of new comments. Trouble is, it only accepts one address.

Maybe there's a way to set up a dummy email address whose sole purpose is to forward comment notifications to those who want them?

Debbie said...

I noticed that too, only one email can receive comments. Does someone know how to do what Irene suggests? a forwarding thing. Or we set up a hotmail or something email that we can all check, like gbkd@hotmail.com? On that note, I'm at the library and to find this page, I searched for sparkling squirrel, and came across a dog of that name http://www.kennelrosediamond.se/gamla%20hundar/stam%20svala.htm.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

If nothing else, I don't want the constant notification-- it only goes to an account that I don't often access. And it isn't all that useful in that it doesn't say the name of the post in the subject (so in this case, it wouldn't be obvious that Abby had commented on Jenny's post, just that Abby had commented).

Anyway, if anyone wants to have the notifications sent somewhere, I am fine with them not comign to me.

Jennifer said...

Hi Abby - Thanks for the comment. At this point I have decided to stay PC (much to Stephen's dismay - he was hoping to switch me to a mac user). I figure, I will be getting use to a lot of new things this fall, so one less new thing might be nice.

I would like to see a Cirque show in person (I have seem them on TV). Sounds like a wonderful experience.

Sorry that you are having such a hard time with the paper. Hopefully it will all work out!

Jennifer

Jenny said...

I recently saw a Cirque show too, although I don't think it was the same show you saw. I really enjoyed it as well, although I thought it was really a bit weird when it first started (a guy hung from a floating ball that drifted around the stage).
I'm sorry to hear that the difficulties with that paper and the other authors continue. Hopefully after this paper you'll not ever need to work with that particular person on a publication again.

Beth said...

I've seen Cirque du Soleil - and I feel silly because Chicago has a show at Navy Pier that I've never gone to. They created a permanent show there which I've heard is good.