Saturday, June 2, 2007

Book Recommendation

I just finished reading the newly-published "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a non-fictional account of her family's adventures during a one-year period in which they were determined to eat only locally-grown foods, many of which they grew or raised themselves on their small farm in Virginia.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone, but especially those of you with an interest in ecology, human impacts on the environment, the growing of food, or the eating of it. If you've never read any of Kingsolver's stuff, this is a fine place to start. Although it deals with serious subjects, it's often laugh-out-loud funny, and has very few "preachy" bits. It also has some yummy recipes!

3 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks, Irene. As one of my favorite authors and my favorite subjects, I'm surprised I didn't know about this, but I'll definitely look it up.
On a similar topic, I think that Michael Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma is fabulous. He's not preachy but it really really makes one think about where one's food is coming from. Highly recommended (and more fun to read than Botany of Desire)

Jennifer said...

I saw this book at Borders the other night and was curious if S.S. had read it. Thanks for the recommendation Irene.

Jenny said...

I just saw this book reviewed in the paper and am glad to hear that it is such a good read. It looked so interesting! Thanks.