Monday, March 22, 2010

Moving advice

First of, we're going to be moving since our house sold and we have an accepted offer in on another. Pictures forthcoming once the appraisal goes through on the new place. But it's 3600 sq ft, a third of an acre yard and .4 miles from the train to the city and the U of C and built in 1913. 4 beds, 2.5 baths (with a BIG master suite).

So we're going to be moving in about a month and we're having a debate about whether we should get another storage locker. We have one which is full already. The storage locker is about 10 minutes from our new house and is open from 6 am - 10 pm 7 days a week. The locker is about 35 minutes from our current house.

We've decided to pack ourselves but will be hiring someone to help with the heavy lifting of furniture. We're going to have about a week (one weekend) to get our stuff out of our current house which we'll be renting from our buyers for a month. My birthday present is going to be a new house.

Thoughts? Advice?

6 comments:

Irene said...

Congrats on finalizing the move!

I don't have very much advice to offer. Ideally, the packing and moving process would be a good time to get rid of stuff you don't really need/want. But if you're pressed for time, it's hard to actually do that kind of decision-making. Still... I would try to find ways to eliminate stuff, because it sucks to realize as you're unpacking boxes that you went to the trouble of moving stuff that's just going to sit in your basement/attic and collect dust.

Maybe rent the second storage locker temporarily, and give yourselves a time limit in which it has to be cleared out? That way some of the non-essential stuff that's hard to make decisions about, can have a safe spot to wait until the initial chaos of moving is over.

Jenny said...

It is great that your house sold and that you found another that you like!
For having moved an average of once a year over the past ten years, I still really don't have much to offer, other than the moves in which I began packing sooner always went much smoother.
I also think that you should do anything you can to make your life easier while getting your stuff out of your current house, so if this involves getting another storage locker, I'd do it.
Good luck with it all!!

Molly said...

My only advice to anyone moving is to either just hire help to load and unload your own rental truck (which you seem to be doing) or to make absolutely sure you have good references for your movers so that they don't hold your posessions hostage and demand more money (which happened to us). It sounds like you are way ahead of the game, Beth! I hope the move goes well, and congrats on both the buying and selling of homes-- how exciting!

salsis said...

I'm all for down sizing - just sending stuff off to local social service place. It's easy to purge after being in Haiti. I have trouble parting with books though. For those in Lawrence, I've heard that the Social Services League downtown makes better use of stuff than goodwill. They will actually give things away to the needy!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

First congrats! Second, it will work out. Don't stress.
Third, in answer to your actual question, I guess I'm confused as to why you might need a storage place if you are moving into a big house with extra rooms. Can't you just stack your boxes in one of the rooms and unpack at your leisure?

Beth said...

So, as midterm grading has (as usual) taken longer than I wanted and urchin experiments over spring break have kept me on campus more than at home, packing is going slow. I got help my a friend/colleague yesterday so the cds and dvds and records are now in boxes. But I think my grand plan of being organized enough to want to get some of this out of here before the days of moving isn't going to happen. So one corner of the living room is going to be "stuff that we'll move" and the rest is going to be "stuff that movers will move" We close on Friday for this place. :-)