Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Slightly Scared

So I'm a little fearful at the moment and not getting anything done. E. Mervivian is due in August and I'm "10 weeks" along. I went to the doctor today for what amounted to a completely useless visit. The ultrasound machine is down so the midwife used a little doppler thing, which works effectively at hearing heartbeats after 13 weeks or so. It very rarely works at 10 weeks unless it is directly over the baby, and, obviously, did not today. While the very nice midwife explained that everything is fine and if I haven't had any bleeding or problems the baby is surely fine and I did not yell at her "I had no problems, no bleeding, no nothing last year at 10 weeks and my little fetus was dead" I'm still all worried.
And I do not want to write my syllabi or walk home in the slush falling from the sky.
(The Mister and I are thrilled about Ewaldina Mervivan Phogg, by the way. The paranoid nature of post should not be taken that I am anything other than delighted to announce his/her future presence to you.)

13 comments:

Cathy said...

SS,
Congratulations to you and the Mister! We'll send positive thoughts your way for a safe and peaceful pregnancy. Lucky kid to have you two has parents.

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing your news! Very exciting to hear. I will send happy, peaceful thoughts to you and your fetus, and hope you can get a real ultrasound soon to calm your mind. I'm really happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congrats - this is very exciting! I too am sending good thoughts your way and I hope the ultrasound will be fixed quickly! I'm very happy for the both of you!

Jennifer said...

Congrats Lisa and Jeff. Hopefully you will get the ultrasound soon?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Thanks for the good thoughts.

I have an appointment with the high risk people in Morgantown next week and will get the super-special ultrasound there (I still have a hard time considering myself a high risk pregnancy, as I am healthy and take good care of myself, but I think I now have 6 risky factors: old, overweight, past miscarriage, past bloodclot, pituitary hormone troubles and slightly abnormal blood and am now on daily anticogaulant shots). It's just that the superspecial ultrasound in Morgantown was where we learned that Ewaldina's heart wasn't beating last year. Of course I wouldn't be doing this again if there were not a high probability of a different outcome (I'm hoping for a nice 7 1/2 pounder), and I'm certainly planning that (s)he's just fine. But, well, still scared.

Irene said...

I'm so excited to hear it! I'll be sending good thoughts your way. I know exactly how nerve-racking those first 14 weeks are, when the first time around didn't go well. I have high hopes that this time I'll be empathizing with you through morning sickness and pre-labor cramps and breastfeeding!

Jenny said...

Thinking of you, your mister, and little Ewaldina Mervivan Phogg...will be very glad to hear more of how (s)he is doing...and how (s)he aquired the names Mervivan and Phogg...lots of love to you all from IA (I'm sure if the whole state knew you they'd send their love too).

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Mervian from Homer Vivian, my grandfather, which Jeff heard as "Mervivian" which I actually like (although probably wouldn't want to be named) and Phogg after Forrest Allen (we went to a KU basketball game while in Kansas

Beth said...

Congrats and ((hugs))

Abby said...

That's good news, thought I understand feeling very nervous about the whole thing. But, as a bit of positive news, of the 3 other people I know who got pregnant again after a miscarriage recently, all of them have either had a healthy baby or are far along in their pregnancy with no problems. So hopefully you will make four!

Molly said...

This is fantastic news! I, too, will start sending my most positive thoughts to you and your little one.

Molly said...

Everything ok over there? I realize it's only yesterday that you had the checkup and you have lots going on.... We're all thinking about you.

Jennifer said...

I ditto Molly's comment.