Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Thoughts

Like many people, for the first time I feel caught up in the inauguration, or at least wanting to be. I tried to watch at home but the feed on the computer was too spotty (we have no television reception) so I came to watch it on campus. My worst fear was not confirmed-- that there would be nobody there, but it was a bit depressing that after the swearing in, for which everyone was quiet, the chatter came back full force during the speech and it was hard to hear.
None the less I was glad to be there, somehow being a participant in the moment.
I'm embarassed by my thoughts coming away from it 1) I did not cry in front of students, which I was very fearful of doing and 2) sulfur yellow or light chartruese? either way, very bold Michelle.

6 comments:

Irene said...

I saw the color of Michelle's dress described as "lemongrass" which seems both accurate and yummy.

Irene said...

I haven't actually had a chance yet to watch the speech, so other thoughts will have to wait.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Since I cook with lemongrass, and it is definitely a dull, if light, green, I can't say I like it. The dress was, however, like lemony-grass. Or maybe a thai curry.

I don't think of myself as someone who particularly likes cheering at the expense of others, but this afternoon when the picture on my computer showed "Fmr Pres. Bush and Mrs. Bush on way to Texas" I did have to grin great big. Fmr!

Sparkling Squirrel said...

For clarity, I don't like the term "lemongrass" as a description of the dress. I very much like both lemongrass the seasoning and the dress worn.

Jennifer said...

I watched part of the pre-inauguration events - which consisted mainly of watching motorcades and the huge crowds of people. I did get teary-eyed every time I saw all the people there, it was amazing. I unfortunately had a meeting during the actual inauguration, but look forward to hearing the speech. I also grinned from ear to ear at "Former President George W. Bush". What an awesome day.

But I have to say that the day has been slightly tinged with sadness. Apparently over the weekend Megan (our 7-year old niece) said she was upset that Obama was going to be president and that he would make a bad president because he was black. I am so angry about this (it comes from her Mom's parents, I believe). Thankfully her father took her to task about that. I want to talk to her about this, but not sure how to do it. I am curious what you (the collective you) would do.

Erin said...

We got up at 6:30am to watch the ceremony. As the string quartet was playing simple gifts, a huge pink sun was coming up over the ocean (next to a palm tree). M said it was a Speilbergian moment for us. I was choked up before Obama even opened his mouth. I liked the speech, especially after listening to it again and picking up some of the details. I think it seems clear that things will be way different. I also liked Michelle's dress, although I would look terrible in that color, whatever it is.