Monday, September 8, 2008

Volunteering for Change and life

I just got back from volunteering at the local Obama Campaign office. It is the first time I have ever done any political volunteering, and it feels really good. I did some data entry and - gasp - calling from the phone bank. Oh man - I don't really like calling people on the phone, but it was not too bad. Most of the people I called were not home, several people did not want to respond, but most of the other people we for Obama. We are not talking big numbers here - I think I actually talked to 11 people and most did not want to tell me who they were going to vote for. I am planning to go back on Thursday night.

Otherwise - things are doing fine here in Independence. School started last week, so far so good. Oh and the best news - I found out today that they are turning my position into a tenure track position without doing another search. Yeah - I don't have to reapply for my job.

Hope all is well with all of you.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Congrats on your position turning into a tenure track position! WOOHOO! And for volunteering for Obama - I haven't had time to but I know 3 people who are working/volunteering for it. I worked with Michelle as an undergrad and although I didn't know her well she was nice and helpful (she was in charge of the community service organizations at the time).

Irene said...

Congratulations on your job!

I remember volunteering for MoveOn a few years back, and doing calling. At first I was so nervous my hands shook, but then I got into the rhythm and it was kinda fun. I'll have to see if I can squeeze in some time to volunteer for Obama this fall.

Debbie said...

Yea for your tenure track position! Whoohoo! And I just save almost $100 on a rental car for the heifer int'l workshop! Avis, which is on 23rd a couple blocks from my house, matches competitors prices (Enterprise was a lot cheaper).

Erin said...

Congratulations on your position! That is great news. Also great news that you are trying something new that makes you feel good. It is always so scary to do new things like that. I am so proud of you!

Jenny said...

Great news about your job-hurrah!
Are you phoning people in your state, or all over the US? Keep it up!