Monday, September 15, 2008

They keep thinking of new ways to confound me

I keep trying to make it impossible to misunderstand directions and students keep showing me new ways it is possible. Another prof. who teaches cell bio and covers one section of my 101 lab was frustrated because he had two well-done labs for a student he could not find on his cell bio roster. Turns out she's in my 101 class. We have no idea how long she's been going to the cell bio lab, why she bought a lab book for a class she's not in, and how crazy she thinks I am when I talk about what we are doing in lab every week during lecture.

4 comments:

Beth said...

So the best story I've heard is the student who went every week to a class (books and all) to a different class than they were registered for AND no one noticed until the instructor couldn't enter a grade post-semester. We now have a rule that we MUST check the class roster with the students present and NOT allow students to sit in who aren't registered. Unfortunately, this has happened more than once every semester. sigh.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I can perhaps more imagine going to a whole class that you weren't registered for than just going to the lab, especially if the lecture professor talked about lab every week (and lab prof talked about what they were doing in lecture) and not one of the students in lab was in lecture with you.
Oh well.

Beth said...

That's true - that is worse. Oh well.

Cathy said...

That's funny. Just think, you could be working a job that didn't provide such entertainment...while teaching can be an overload of work, it provides much fodder for laughter. Yesterday I graded a paper that referred to the "living vs. non-living organisms" and cracked up. Is it cruel that we laugh at the expense of others?