Sunday, March 23, 2008

Graduation - what not to miss?

I would like to ask those of you who have participated in graduation at KU, which parts of the weekend you enjoyed and which did you not? Assuming that I get everything turned in on time (which seems kind of impossible but I'm going to try), I think I can qualify to graduate this May. And my whole family's coming either way!

I plan to do the hooding ceremony, but can't decide about the "walk down the hill". It seems like it will be a lot of chaos and maybe not very much fun. But I don't want to miss out on the opportunity if I (or more importantly, my parents) will regret it later. Any opinions? Any other pointers? Thanks!

4 comments:

Beth said...

I came back in town for the hooding but did not walk down the hill. It was hot and my mom decided she would rather be in a restaurant with friends than watching my walk down the hill. No regrets on my part but then again I didn't really want to walk down the hill.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

The peony party is the not to miss part of graduation weekend. Someone should inform the woman who lives in my (former) house.

Anyway hooding was the only thing I did, defintely worth it, a party with everyone's parent's (Beth's, Irene's, Molly's, Jules', Jeff's, mine) was stressful but definitely worth it. Eating with Beth was better than walking down the hill, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the hooding ceremony - both mine and Stelios'. Stelios walked down the hill and I think he thought it was ok. However the graduate students are at the end and so he actually didn't start walking down the hill until a few hours after the undergrads started. There isn't much else to the ceremony (a speech) but the walking down the hill is the main thing. He did mention that if there was a friend to walk down with it would be better.

Jenny said...

I enjoyed the hooding, and my walk down the hill the next day. The atmosphere was very festive and exciting. I did skip the ceremony inside the stadium after the walk becasue it was warm and our time with friends was limited. Tim also walked down the hill the year before (and enjoyed that) and then sat on the hill afterwards drinking lemonade with his family to listen to the convocation speech. I think the chancellor basically recycles his speech year to year--it sounded pretty similar to the one given the year I finished college at KU. However you choose to celebrate, we'll be cheering you on from afar!