Friday, August 10, 2007

Irene has her pedometer

Irene has her pedometer and is stepping lots. Are the other fitness challengers equiped?

There is still plenty of time to join Irene, Jenny, Jennifer, Beth, Molly and myself if the GBDK Fitness Challenge. TT, Abby, Sally's S, are you in? It doesn't have to be a step program (although I think the pedometers are great for lots of reasons, the biggest of which is that it makes exercise an everyday activity, not a went to the gym or not thing). The only requirement is that you set a goal (number of steps, number of times you swim or do yoga, whatever) and keep track of of it.

Here are some places selling pedometers: Bodytronics, PedometersUSA where we can supposedly buy them for less than $1 (if we buy what, 10,000?), Amazon (I have the accusplit eagle 120xl and like it), Rite Aid has them as a free rebate gift this month, REI has them, I bet Target, Wallmart, etc. have them. If you need me to buy one for you, (indebtedness can be a surprisingly effective motivator), let me know soon. (In the state employee program, they gave them to us, but we had to return them if we didn't turn in our final results paperwork, it really made me pay closer attention.)

5 comments:

Irene said...

I have a Freestyle "Micro" pedometer, and at first I wasn't sure I liked it because it didn't give very accurate numbers unless I was walking quite fast.

I played around with different locations to wear it, and found that the best place, oddly, is around my ankle (attached to an elastic band). One would think that it would only count half of my steps that way, but in fact it counts both the downstroke and the upstroke of the steps with that foot, so it ends up being pretty accurate.

Erin said...

I bought one at Walgreens for about 4 bucks, so count me in for the challenge.

Beth said...

Beth and her hubby have neat fancy computer software linked ones called Omron or something. We're in and we'll be walking more with the puppy. But we still need to remember to wear them.

Cathy said...

I still need to get one...when does it start? I'm game too!

Debbie said...

I got my $4 one from Walgreens - in the diet pill section. It seems to overcount the steps. It's 1,700 steps from KBS to EL Mezcal.