Monday, March 7, 2011

Request for a friend

A friend of mine needs some botany assistance - let me know if you can assist.

"My work is large scale paintings of tress. I need to know more about endangered trees or habitats or human behaviors and practices that is causing undue stress on trees. Specifically, what species of trees and were are they located. I'm looking for someone in the field of botany or ecology that has that expertise.

If you could recommend someone or a place, an organization where I could look for information, that would be very helpful to my work.

If you have any questions or if I need to get more specific let me know."

Thanks

3 comments:

salsis said...

How about starting with the Haiti/Dominican chapter of Chaos? I don't know what specific species are endangered in Haiti. The web probably knows, it knows everything.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

The USDA plants database and Natureserve are searchable by level of threat (one could find all of the at-risk plants in Illinois for instance) and usually has ID information as well as information about specific threats.

The Arbor Day foundation has lots of information on tree conservation and state departments of natural resources list species of concern and their threats.

Erin said...

A shameless plug for my study system...dry forest trees in Hawaii are some of the most endangered in the world. They are threatened by non-native animals, invasive plants, and fire. Check out http://www.drylandforest.org/

The landscape is also very striking, with mountains on one side and ocean on the other.