Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sexual Selection book?

I need advice on a book. I'm planning on proposing a course for the Fall (yes I am crazy) on sexual selection and evolution. My current book choices are Olivia Judson's Dr. Tatiana's sex advice for all creation and most likely Evolution is True by Jerry Coyne. I've been stuggling on what my other "reference" book should be for the course. These will all be non-majors and I'll be supplementing everything with some primary literature.

So - thoughts. I have Zuk's sexual selection book but haven't read it yet - although it's on my list for tonight.

Thanks!

3 comments:

Irene said...

I liked Olivia Judson's book a lot. Your students might be interested in human sexual selection - there's a book by Jared Diamond that I skimmed through, and it seemed pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Sex-Fun-Evolution-Sexuality/dp/0465031269

Jenny said...

Carl Zimmer has written some excellent books on evolution that might be good basic references (specifically "The Tangled Bank" and "Evolution")

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I don't have anything beneficial to say, but wanted to add that I think it is great that you are taking this on.