Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Little Joys

It's been a year since we started the afternoon gratitude box, and it occurs to me that its time to resurrect it. I know everyone is busy. I know many of us have nothing really eventful in our lives. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I particularly like keeping in touch via little bits on news or non-news.

My joy of the day: a beaver apparently built a dam across the river in town over the weekend. Amazing how quickly it went up. But my real joy is that there is a football built into it. I don't know why, but it really makes me giggle.

5 comments:

Irene said...

There's a shiny new post office building down the block from the lab where I work. Having a post office there might save me the occasional trip to drop off a package at the one near our house. But more importantly, I can finally walk on the sidewalk outside that building. It wasn't a major obstruction in getting to and from the train station, but it's funny how much I enjoy being able to choose which side of the street to walk on, after having been restricted to one side for nearly a year.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

I spoke with Jennifer this week and I received a good luck charm from Abby. I'm going to talk to Irene soon, I spoke with Sal Sis last week and TT and I have been playing phone tag for over a month. Those are all big joys and important ones.

Cathy said...

I went to the Farmer's market this morning and was overwhelmed with the joys of October: beets, sweet potatoes, tube roses, and bluegrass. And the joys of a wonderful community--how great to spend the entire morning chatting with good friends opportunistically and meaningfully. Big joys.

Molly said...

I went camping in Napa Valley this weekend and had a really wonderful time. Is the tree with bare, red bark mesquite? Anyway, I was so struck by the colors there... golden grasses with clusters of olive-green trees dotting the landscape; the slate-blue of the rocks in the streams; the pale beige, papery leaves of the trees by the streams, whose bark was covered by lichens and moss. And the smell of the redwoods and hummus-y ground! I am completely in love with Napa Valley now.

Jennifer said...

Hot chocolate
A lap-full of cat
Liking the people I work with