Friday, May 20, 2011

Maine-iac

Life's trajectory has pointed us toward magnetic north, apparently. From S. Carolina, to New York, to Maine, we've been on the move. Yup, we're about to be Mainers, lured by a tenure-track job at a SLAC in a small town one hour from the beach, one hour from Acadia National Park, two hours from the end of the Appalachian trail. After being ridiculously transient for the last 20 years, I can't say that I'm not just a little scared, but I'm trying to embrace it: we bought a house, we might even buy some "grown up furniture" (and discard the 'perfectly good' futon couch we've had since our college years?!), and we're becoming a one-car, 5-bike family. I call it maturity (finally), my students, I realize, just see me as old.** We are making the most of NYC while we have it (broadway version of Priscilla Queen of the Desert is well-worth the zillion dollars it costs) and eating all the goat cheese the Hudson Valley will spare. Then onward to Vacation land (seriously, that's what the license plates say). We have spare rooms--feel free to use them if you want to escape the summer heat!

**I just spent a fair amount of time at the hospital with a student who looks somewhat like me. I was frequently asked if I was her mother, not her sister. I've crossed some threshold, apparently.

8 comments:

Irene said...

Oooh, that's exciting! I've never been to Maine; I might have to find an excuse to come visit you guys!

Beth said...

Congrats!!! It took me way too long to translate SLAC - I kept thinking I don't know a school in Maine with those letters... sigh.

Cathy said...

Beth--you've clearly been off the job market for too long. :)

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Congratulations Cathy. I look forward to your on-going adventures in adult-land (Will you be decorating? That's one step I don't seem to be willing to take.)

Any big birthday plans?

Beth-- it took me a while as well, and I worked in an institution where our president kept talking about us becoming the best SPLAC (public) in the country. It took our faculty senate president a long time to realize that our president actually thought we were a LAC (despite most of our students being in forestry, education, business and criminal justice), rather than our president wanting us to become one (we did not, for instance, offer any foreign languages when I arrived and did not have any philosophy, religion, logic or ethics classes, which I think a LAC must do).

Erin said...

Sounds like you are moving up in the world (pun intended). It would be great to see visit some time...in the summer! It's cold up there. I hope you have a good furnace and a wood stove. Get yourself some flannel shirts and you will be a true Mainer. My cousin went to your SLAC and had a great experience there. I think you will enjoy the students and the amazing wilderness. I'm really happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! - I was wondering if you had found a house yet or not. When is the scheduled move? And I hope that you like Maine and Happy Birthday a little early.

Tucson Trekker said...

Yay Cathy. Congrats!

Tucson Trekker said...

I always knew you were a maniac... in the best sense!