Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A kick upside the head . . . and chest, and back and lots of other places

I tried to stop feeding Dianthus breastmilk as of Friday night (after a rough start last year, breastfeeding has gone very well. Since July we've been doing it just at night and first thing in the morning.)
Saturday was awful. Super-painful engorged boobs. Achey back. And crying constantly. Not because of anything in particular, but because well, because I felt like crying. I had heard of there being hormonal weirdness with weaning, but I was completely unprepared for the equivalent of the worst PMS ever to happen instantaneously.
Sunday I learned that maybe it wasn't just the weaning.
It turns out that things other than not breastfeeding cause PMS-like symptoms.
Oh, obvious solutions. How often we overlook you.

6 comments:

Sparkling Squirrel said...

The wasn't supposed to be cryptic, but I had at least one reader guessing more interesting things. The simple overlooked solution was that PMS causes PMS like symptoms.

I don't have enough data to say if weaning exaserbates the condition.

Beth said...

sigh. silly PMS trying to convince you that could be another reason.

Erin said...

I thought you were pregnant again!! I swear that a week after baby started eating solids (which was last week some time) I had a combination of PMS and morning sickness symptoms. I feel for you.

Tucson Trekker said...

If it's not to personal, is it your first occasion for PMS since Dianthus?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

TT- MS started irregularly when Dianthus was 9 months old. This was the most extreme PMS, by far.

Tucson Trekker said...

Curious cause Andrew is 9 mos. What do I have to look fwd to... How is weaning going?