Friday, August 14, 2009

Decor style: Nouveau Box!

So we arrived in Thousand Oaks about two weeks ago and our stuff arrived in our house yesterday. Somehow yesterday was the first time it hit me just what moving into a place 1/2 the size of your old one really means. Anyone want some books or furniture??

The kitchen and bedroom are fairly functional, and we've only been putting 'baby stuff' in the baby's room, so that's not too bad. The rest of the house is a jungle of boxes that looks more like the warehouse from hell than anywhere you'd like to actually spend time! Sheesh!! I'd love to post pictures but I have NO IDEA where the camera is! This is AFTER the helpful movers agreed to take two desks, two bookshelves, a recliner, and a large suitcase off our hands! And we did get rid of a lot of stuff before leaving Tucson! I'm impressed and jealous of the cat's ability to power sleep through it all! The other series of pics I'd love to post is her position and location on the bed hourly throughout the day!

OK, I'm going to wear out my exclamation point key...

TO does have a nice climate and we're right next to a large park with hiking trails. Come visit if you dare.

9 comments:

Molly said...

I really sympathize with you, TT... Our new place is 600 square feet. One thing about it, though, having a smallish place really helps focus what's really useful and wanted. And it's easier to clean ;)
Good luck unpacking! Be sure to take breaks that involve getting out of the house!

Beth said...

I recommend IKEA for getting furniture that lets you store a lot in a small amount of space. I'm not good at throwing things away so many of my solutions involve creative storage of too much stuff. :-)

Tucson Trekker said...

I agree Molly. We're getting rid of stuff I've hoarded for 10 years! But there's still stuff I just can't bear to let go (all the stupid beanie babies my mom gave me over the years and a lifetime of correspondence, for example). I'll have to look into storage. What about all my old teaching notes, graduate coursework, and refs for dissertation? Yack!

Tucson Trekker said...

My old desk top computer is a problem, too. I'd love to get rid of it, but it's the only thing with ArcView set up for my dissertation... But the monitor is huge. Oh, to have an office!

Tucson Trekker said...

I AM well aware how lucky I am that making my crap fit into my house is my biggest problem right now :)

Jennifer said...

Good luck with the organizing - and the caverns of boxes will slowly get smaller and smaller.

Sparkling Squirrel said...

You can do it TT! Clear before the baby gear starts coming in full force.

Irene said...

If you have books that you wouldn't be willing to toss out but might be willing to send to a friend, I'm interested! In return, I can send you some baby gear. Email me and we can talk about what to trade!

salsis said...

Take a trip to a 3rd world country and when you get home it'll be a lot easier to get of your stuff!