Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Slimy Petals

On the 101 final, I ask for examples of defenses of the eaten ("physical defense in animal" "chemical defense in plant" and so forth) and a specific organism that displays that adapation. "Plants" "leaves" and "some trees" are all specific examples of plants.
One chemical defense of a plant is to squirt ink at attackers. Corals do this. Another is to have slimy petals. Mushrooms are the specific example of plants that has slimey petals.
I've also learned that arctic ermine can use their speed and superior fighting skills to take down polar bears. And we can help global warming by car pulling and food decreasion by not littering.
I actually am a good teacher, I swear.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love the slimy petals.

Surely the arctic ermine was a joke - right? I kid who didn't know the real answer and so thought you would like a funny answer. Surely, right?

what the heck is car pulling?

Sparkling Squirrel said...

Car pooling. Except written car pulling and I envisioned the student and a bunch of his burly friends pulling their cars in order to slow global warming.

Irene said...

Even the best teacher can't transform a terrible student into a good one. It works that way in movies, but only rarely in real life.

Erin said...

I was picturing some horses or oxen strapped to a car with a bunch of college students in it.

Heather York said...

My Bio 101 for non-majors was extraordinarily comparable. And I think I'm a good teacher, too.

I gave a make-up final exam to a bio major in my Intro to Eco and Evo class. The topic was something like "What is ecology? What is evolution? How does ecology affect evolution? How does evolution affect ecology?" Here was his opening line:

"Ecology is the study of plants." Technically it's not incorrect, but... well... uuhhh...